Cracked and powdery constructional hearth, can I replace concrete?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to raise the level of my hearth to ultimately install a wood burning stove. However, the current hearth (below floor level) is cracked and powdery, and has a big piece missing right underneath where the old fireplace was. It's clearly been damaged by all the thermal stresses over its lifetime. I should add that the hearth is not on the ground floor.

I would like to remove the old damaged concrete, and recast it. However, I'm very afraid that it would fall through to the floor below if it were damaged further. I can't find any resources detailing how constructional hearths are designed. Is there wooden joists/boards underneath the concrete? What supports it? Is it supported over it's entire area, or just around the edges?

If I can't get a definite answer, then I'll probably just cast concrete over the top of it to be safe.

Sponsored Links
Don't know whether this is acceptable now, from memory the concrete is cast in situ over a timber board that sits on battens within the trimmed joists. It will be very heavy. A HETAS registered installer could probably advise if it's permitted, and if so what dimensions/thicknesses of concrete are required.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back