Cracked Bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We bought a shower/bath suite from B&Q before Christmas and I've just noticed a small crack in the acrylic bath :eek: just where the floor starts to curve upwards.

I've checked underneath and it seems to be all dry. Is the Acrylic just a cosmetic vaneer or will this eventually leak through? (it has a thick base of about 1")

Also, would I have a right to ask for my money back?

Sponsored Links
I would not risk it as it will only fail when it is full of water and you are inside it!
The base is usually chipboard insert to give it rigidity not really a water reisitant material.
As for money back I have always found B&Qs return policy excellent but 5 months on is asking alot they have the right to say no as it may have been caused by you unless you can prove a defect in the manufacturing process.
Pete

thanks for the reply mate.
I'll stick to showers for the time being to prevent a tidal wave down the stairs :eek: :LOL:

I have just seen your post from some months ago. I had the same problem with a B&Q showerbath installed in September 2006 in a property that was let. In January there was water coming through the ceiling; having spent sometime and inconvenience taking up floor covering as assumed a pipework/waste leak, I found a crack as you noted but this was letting water pour through. Was able to seal temporarily with silicone. I phoned B&Q who said I would have to pay a callout charge around £70 to have it inspected and if they deemed it not a manufacturing fault this would not be refunded. I claimed on buildings insurance and replaced the bath with another from B&Q as insurance would not pay for panel etc so needed same shape bath.Unbelieveably I found a crack in this replacement bath a few months ago, not so bad as not letting water through and at the other end away from taps & drain. The crack is about 2inches long and straight, I have sealed it with silicone which seems to be holding. I doubt if insurance will pay up another £500 to replace it not to mention hassle involved.I haven't bothered so far to take it any further, B&Q deny there have been problems with these baths, the original one was part of an Amalfi suite, the replacement from their standard catalogue. So I was pleased to see your post. I am writing to make a formal complaint and to ask what they propose to do.
So be warned anyone thinking of buying showerbaths from B&Q

Sponsored Links
I have just had water pouring through my ceiling and have discovered a crack in my B&Q bath. It is 5 years old and has only had very light use. Only one person lives in house and am not even here all the time. Moral of the story is you get what you pay for, I won't be buying a value bath from B&Q again!!

Material defects discovered within six months are deemed in law to have been present at manufacture unless the supplier can prove otherwise.

Get it back to them straight away and don't take any nonsense.

MW

had b and q shower bath fitted for only 1 week and cracks have shown allong the p end were it starts to curve up . because its now fitted im not having much joy out of them they say its a problem to take up with the supplier. funny i thought i bought it from b and q . if were happy your happy , what a load of *******s .

I have had some success repairing baths using motor car fibre glass kits. If the area of the crack is accessible from underneath then apply resin and mat to strengthen the local area, thats all the baths are made from anyway. The resin seals the crack and rebonds the edges. Its not enough to just put the resin in the crack there must be some reinforcement. Multilayers of glass cloth does even better than one thick lump of mat. The crack may still be visible but is water tight. Make sure no resin has come through the crack into the bit you sit in, if it sets and is sharp it'll cut yer bum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back