Cracked caulk - what next?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm re-decorating our house, completed three rooms and gone to admire the work only to spot hairline cracks in the caulked areas.

Should I re-caulk? Should I scrape the current caulk? Extra coats of paint haven't helped.

I've had Unibond caulk recommended instead of the Soudal rubbish I'm about to return.

Any advice is welcomed.

Sponsored Links
Did you leave the caulk to dry out or did you paint over it before it had dried?

You could try caulking over the existing and leave to dry, then apply a thinned oil undercoat to the caulk before emulsioning.

I would prefer to cut out the cracked caulk and try again giving plenty of drying time and priming it with a thinned oil undercoat before emulsioning.

Sponsored Links
Most good quality caulks claim to be paintable soon after application. It's probably a good idea to wait to at least the next day to paint over. However, I don't think this is your issue.

What brand of paint did you use? I find that a better quality paint will help.

What areas are cracking? Is it above the skirting boards?

A thinned coat of undercoat is not needed. Simply apply more caulk over the cracks, not too thick and repaint.

Thanks for the replies.

I used Soudal caulk with Dulux paint on top. I'm pretty sure the cracks were present before painting. The caulk had dried for 48 hours.

I was hoping that a new layer of Unibond caulk then re-painting would fix the issue.

If your timber is moving/shrinking - it will crack until it stops.

Paint does a pretty good job of covering normal cracks, so why wouldn't it cover cracks in caulk?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back