cracked ceilings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have removed the polystyrene tiles from the first of four rooms in an old house. once the tiles and paper were removed the cracks could be seen. mostly hairline with a couple of larger chunks out. the ceiling is made from lats. if i get the ceiling plastered should i board it first or just get it scimmed. the other option is to buy that stuff that hides cracks from dulux but at £40 i think i would rather get it scimmed.

Sponsored Links
mostly hairline with a couple of larger chunks out. the ceiling is made from lats. if i get the ceiling plastered should i board it first or just get it scimmed. the other option is to buy that stuff that hides cracks from dulux but at £40 i think i would rather get it scimmed.

Steer clear of the DIY dul*x product, for a large area, needs a better solution.
For best results you will really need to cover with a new skim.
Where to go before that will depend on a few things - how flat the ceiling is, are the laths in good nick still, have the plaster nibs started to break and is plaster coming away etc.

Just re-board over your ceiling, giving the plasterer a good ceiling to work off. Thus leaving you with perfect ceilings.

That's what I have done in my house.

Andy

dont really know what plaster nibs are? ceiling is flat enough but seems to be a little bit of movement where it meets the outside wall.

if i plasterboard do i need to take polystyrene tiles off or can i plasterboard over the top?

Sponsored Links
paul overboard it like drainage says taping and skimming may result in the cracks coming back after a short while, if they were my ceilings i would take the tiles off, you dont know how bad the other ceilings are yet, these tiles were sometimes put up to hide cracks in the ceilings so i would go round taking them all off to see what state the rest of the ceilings are in, also you could send pictures in to show us how bad the ceilings are, and weather they need overboarding or repairing

cheers and thanx for the advice.
now for a stupid question! why is there tapered edge board? does that not need a skim just as square edged does?

cheers and thanx for the advice.
now for a stupid question! why is there tapered edge board? does that not need a skim just as square edged does?
tapered edge board can be used for tape and joint but it can also be skimmed you need just normal square edge board 121/2mm

thanxs again steve.

what does "normal square edge board 121/2mm" mean?

should it read 12mm?

if so is "Knauf Plasterboard 2400 x 1200 12.5mm" the stuff i need as opposed to the 9.5mm board?

thanxs again steve.

what does "normal square edge board 121/2mm" mean?

should it read 12mm?

if so is "Knauf Plasterboard 2400 x 1200 12.5mm" the stuff i need as opposed to the 9.5mm board?
yes thats the stuff you want 12.5 mm thats what i meant i was trying to type 12 and a half :mrgreen:

thanks steve and co.

looks like a trip to the builders merchants for me.

then need a man with a good float.

thanks again you have been a good help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back