Cracked Clay Underground Soil Pipe (with pics)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have have unearthed a bit of my soil pipe i'm laying a new patio.
When carefully removing the mud from around the clay pipe I noticed a crack on the top half.

I got the missus to flush to loo a few times to see if it leaks and it does not.
Prob due to the crack being at the top of the pipe.

As you can see I have done it once a few years back due to moving the stack outside so it would not be to much hassle putting in a new length of plastic to do away with the cracked clay (and collars).

Do I leave it or do I cut it back and replace with plastic??

View media item 23373 View media item 23372 View media item 23374

Sponsored Links
Replace it, you wouldn't want to rip up a newly laid patio for the sake a length of plastic pipe.

Pull it out and replace with plastic,making sure to "BED" the pipe down correctly so there is no undue stress on it the future

Crack may not leak but the sewer gases need to escape somewhere so you dont want any smells coming out in your garden

Sponsored Links
I think we missed reading between the lines, hiding dead family members under the patio needs careful planning, it's illegal and rather frowned upon by most people, but if your going to do it anyway, make sure you concrete "everything" in well to stop the gases and smells comeing through from any "cracks" in the patio.

I agree with PVM.Trevor from Brookside was found a few years ago ,due to not being concreted in properly,you dont want a fat bloke trying to dig up pipes,and finding a stiff.Replace it,and get it filled in properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back