Cracked concrete yard / drain gutters - damp seeping through

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

In my back yard, the concrete is heavily cracked and it slopes towards the house - in particular it seems that around the drains etc there is enough damage to get thorugh to the void space & who knows where else - which I think is getting damp (need to confirm)
20230830_164154.jpg

Internally, I know there is a hole to the cavity space (currently hidden behind the waching machine) - and it looks generally pretty filthy inside, I don't think there's any damp proof coursing anywhere either - but you can definatley feel the breeze on a windy day from inside.

I know that there is a lot of historic patching up that is now falling apart, and many of the drain/water/waste pipes coiming out I'm suspicious of (I have unfortunatley discovered that most of the DIY the previous owners did is fairly shambolic and I know from neighbours that it was they who added the additional downstairs toilet, far right hand side of the door as you look at it)

20230830_164408.jpg

Initially (when I thought it wasn't so bad) I was going to use some Everbuild Jetcem to seal everything up, and to replace the concerete drainage with some sort of proper drain system type thing - I know you can get channels that are meant for garages but thought that sort of thing would do a better job - but think really it might need more.

If anyone could offer any advise on how big a job this may end up being greatly welcomed - as I just do not want to let damp become an issue (or bigger one} - the sooner the better!

Cheers for taking the time

- Matt

Attachments

• 20230830_164052.jpg
    20230830_164052.jpg
    518.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 20230830_164112.jpg
    20230830_164112.jpg
    533.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 20230830_164221.jpg
    20230830_164221.jpg
    768.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 20230830_164414.jpg
    20230830_164414.jpg
    591.8 KB · Views: 72
Sponsored Links
Looks like damp heaven to me, especially with all that leaky earthenware drainage and the render down to the ground. I modernised and improved all my drainage and switched from old salt glaze to plastic. All that drainage could be improved and the outlets shortened/straightened, simply by rearranging where gullies and drains are located. Probably get it done for around £1800. Expect any quote to have caveats attached, as its all below ground (not visible) and assumption.

Even if the concrete wasn't cracked, just rain splashing off a hard surface will saturate a wall.

All the concrete needs to come up, lower and slope thebground away to a channel drain and check the existing drainage/renew gullies. Top with a gravel strip.

It'd be thousands but not mega work.

Thanks both.

I was thinking about the slope direction etc too, I know the water mains comes in somewhere underneath all this - and I think I recall there being mention of some older drainage works parallel to the wall too on the original surverys - I'll dig them out to check the precice locations.

Until being in a position to get the works done, I do have tools that I could use to remove some/all of the concrete - I've seen other posts saying that removal generally seems to be a help with dampness - would there be any reasons not to do this (& improve soil drainage undernerath) now rather than holding out as we get into the autumn/ approach winter; and anything to watch out for?

Of course ideal would be to crack on but it would be a few months until I can raise funds - would rather not just leave it to get worse.
Interestingly/unsuprisingly, walking down the terrance I can see pretty much everyone else has already had theirs dug down/remodelled already. The whole yard needs an overhaul anyway so I don't think it would be doing something that would need un-doing later, so if there's anything that will help in the short term I'll happily do what I can.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Only that you’d end up walking a lot more mud into the house over winter, so I’d plan to put some boards down
Another advantage of you cracking on is you can dig down a bit and investigate/eliminate some unknowns

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back