Cracked Paint w/ pics - Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

About 18 months ago I painted over the horrible purple paint in my toilet room with some magnolia bathroom paint.

About 6 months later - it looked like this:

Loads of hairline cracks in the paint, all over the room. The room doesn't get humid at all, so I'm not sure what it is?

Anyway, I want to re-paint the room. I was planning to sand off the loose stuff, prime with a PVA mixture, then paint with two coats of standard (decent quality) emulsion.

Would this work?

I really want it to last for years when I do it this time!

Sponsored Links
I can't explain the cracking in the paint, but I can hear Zampa and other guys saying, "never" use PVA as a primer/sealer on any surface, if your going to emulsion over it.

Roughcaster.

Its probably because the fresh paint cant adhere to whats below it..normally because its too shiny, like gloss or even vinyl silk.

The damage is done unfortunatly, dont bother with the PVA it will do nothing to help your situation.

Id either give the wall a coat of oil based undercoat (thinned by about 15%) allow to dry for a few days then emulsion..or a problem solving primer like zinseer bin.

Were the walls papered before hand?..again its a problem, but the marks and cracks look more like an adhesion problem

Seeing as kitchen and bathroom paint is often really thick you might need to skim over the wall with some filler after you have given it the first coat.

Thanks for those replies - I went to get some Oil based undercoat first thing...

Based on a conversation with the guy in do-it-all I'm going to apply Crown Basecoat (thinned 10%). Then: sand any imperfections when this is dry, then apply another layer of Basecoat, followed by 2 coats of Crown Matt Emulsion.

The reason they suggested Crown basecoat is because you can't get oil based undercoats anymore - and this is the strongest undercoat on the market?

Anyway, i've applied the first layer of Basecoat on a small area and its seems good so far, it's also smoothed out the cracks to give an (almost) perfect flat finish.

Do you think I'm on the right track - or have I been sold a lemon?

Sponsored Links
Also, there's a small area of the room that is currently bare plaster that I want to paint along with the rest of the room. It's oldish plaster but it has bever been painted. it's also in very good condition, perfectly smooth apart forom the odd spot of Polyfilla.

I'm assuming that a thined layer of the Crown Basecoat is suitable prep for this as well? In the end it will all be coevered with the same emulsion.

Thanks

because you can't get oil based undercoats anymore

Absolute ****, the guy is talking out of his ars mate.

The base coat should be ok for the bear plaster though...just thin it by about 25%

Annoys me when people in the big sheds are giving out advice when theydont know what they are on about. :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back