Cracked stone - should I be worried?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Noticed a couple of cracks opening up through the middle of two individual stones on the external wall of our house. One is on the external chimney stack the other not.
Just wanted to know how concerned I should be with this type of crack? I don’t know for sure when they opened up or if they were already there when we moved in 1 year ago.

there are quite a few cracks through the mortar joints elsewhere but these seemed more concerning. Any thoughts appreciated.

thanks

Photos here:
https://www.diynot.com/diy/media/albums/stone.27571/#ixzz70DAvj4d6

Sponsored Links
Looks like it's cast stone rather than natural stone, which are really concrete blocks, and the walls suffer from shrinkage cracking as other concrete blocks do..

Thanks for the response @stuart45 - that makes sense. So unlikely to be anything structural? and more likely to be an annoyance which we could potentially need to replace individual ‘stones’ at a later date?

Shrinkage cracks aren't really structural as such, if that's what they are. How old is the property?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back