Step Crack at corner - should I be worried?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

During some work to replace a section of down-pipe on my house i noticed a small section of brickwork that appears to have a step crack coming from the corner brick. The crack follows the mortar line and travels up between 3-4 brick levels before disappearing. See photos below.

The crack is barely noticeable from ground level and this is the first time i have been up there since buying the house 3 years ago, hence only just seen it.

There are no other cracks in the wall on either side of the corner above or below this area and this crack is probably at the 3M - 3.5M level above ground (Standard two storey).

Is this something i should be worried about? Everything i have read about step cracks suggests foundation issues and it has me worried. The problem is that i don't know when this formed! The house is 20 years old and i have owned it for 3. When looking up the wall from ground level it appears completely square (Appreciate this isn't extremely scientific!).

The internal corner is as per the image below. There are no noticeable cracks or steps in the plaster on the inside I am currently in the process of decorating and as part of this work have been chasing some sections of breeze block out to take some new back boxes for new switches and sockets. Could this chiselling and hammering have caused it? If not, what could cause a localised cracking like this?

Thanks.

Jamie.

Photos;

Overall Crack

1673194030646.png

Various Images:

1673194111588.png

1673194171494.png

1673194221171.png

1673194279085.png

Internal Corner

1673194338604.png

Sponsored Links
My advice Jamie is record the exact extent of the cracking - mark ends with a pencil and photograph - and check them again in 3 or 4 months. Don't repair them for now, they won't do any harm as they are.

I don't think your internal work has caused this. It's possible they've been there since the build and just never got picked up? Check if they are active, as above, and then decide on a repair from there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back