cracked UPVC frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our windows are 7 years old but we have noticed one of them has split/cracked at the top.
window2.jpg
Is this repairable or is it structural damage?

Also another of our window frames appears to be filling up with water and leaking through a hairline fracture.
window1.jpg
Is it normal for water to get into the frame? Also is this easily repairable?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
it is a manufacturing fault.

welds should not come apart.

Im not sure is solvent glue could be used to repair....maybe a upvc pro would know

If they were fitted by a company then they should have a ten year guarantee , in which case i would be requesting two new sashes.

Water can indeed get into a Upvc frame , the very outside chamber is a drainage chamber, for any water that gets past the external gasket. issue with filling with a solvent glue is that it is very unlikely that you will seal all the broken weld up , through all chambers, however having said that if you are left with no other choice , for whatever reason , then it may be the only option. Being opening sashes , providing the face to the house is sealed off , then all other water would drip into the openings and drain away as normal

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I spoke to the fitting company and they will come out and have a look if it is covered under warranty.
Quite a few of our windows have small black cracks in the corners so I wonder if they will develop problems in time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back