Cracking concrete in room partition?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hope someone can advise! I have recently purchased a 1900s terrace house and the living/dining room have been knocked through into one open plan room. Upon taking the (many) layers of old wallpaper off, we've discovered two cracks, approx 1-2mm running up each end of the concrete lintel (I think that's what it's called?!) that supports where the wall would have been that separated these two rooms. The cracks are visible on both sides, but don't seem to follow the same path on both sides, so I don't know if they're the same or different cracks.

Photo attached for reference (although it's showing sideways I think).

I think the separation was done a long time ago, based on the wall paper that was covering it. I'd guesstimate at least pre-dating the 70s, so I have no record of what has been used to support this wall being removed. Whether there's a steel in there or it's just concrete I have no idea.

Should we be concerned about this? First time buyers here feeling like complete novices!

Thank you!

Attachments

• crack photo.JPG
    crack photo.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 107
Sponsored Links
These kind of cracks are common, & usually insignificant unless they tie-in with structural disturbances above them.

It could be something and nothing - but, you are novices and you are worried, so why not gently knock off the plaster surrounding the cracks, and post photos of the exposed areas on here?

FWIW: your photo is on its side.

Thanks Vinn, that's reassuring. I will have a look at knocking some plaster off tomorrow and post photos (if I can get them the right way up!!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back