Cracking of newly painted and plastered walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'd like some advice on what to do next. I've had my walls skimmed about 2 months ago and have just had them painted. I've noticed lots of hairline cracks appearing on all the walls.

I've read that its due to old plaster underneath pulling the moisture from the new plaster.

My question is - what can I do about it without having to shell out too much money?

All help much appreciated.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Hi

I'd like some advice on what to do next. I've had my walls skimmed about 2 months ago and have just had them painted. I've noticed lots of hairline cracks appearing on all the walls.

I've read that its due to old plaster underneath pulling the moisture from the new plaster.

Maybe not Paddygirl,,,, it could be the new plaster skim, coming away from the old. Does it sound hollow when you rub the back of your fingernails over the wall?
Can you put some photo's of it on here if possible.

Hi

Thanks for replying. Some sound hollow and some don't, it seems to depend on which wall as the cracks are on internal and external walls, but new ones appearing all the time, and old ones growing.

I'm afraid I can't put a picture up.

Any ideas?

Cheers

I think it would be better for you to get a reputable local plasterer, to come in and see your job. Get in touch with the plasterer who did your job too, and tell him of your concerns,, but as i said earlier, get an independent plasterer in too. Keep in touch.

Sponsored Links
Have you poured enough water when they were plastering? It also happens due to less amount of water supply as plaster soak lot of moisture. Do they plaster in summers as these cracks may also be due heavy sunlight.

id say the walls most certainly werent prepeard properly.when over skimming espescially on painted backgrounds you must b careful 2apply a near pure coat of pva and score the surface first 4 extra key.i would av given it a coat of pva let it dry and seal,then applied a second.as the second coat is getting tacky then is the time2 skimm.is all you can do is either patch the cracks with filler or hack of the areas that have blown of the wall then prep properly and patch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back