cracking paint in door frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

this is my first post and a complete novice. Recently moved into a house and replaced all interior doors, and stripped and sanded all door frames about 11months ago.

Since the door frames have been painted, ive noticed that the majority of the joins in the frames are starting to crack/split like so :

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc190/deaninho/P1000796.jpg

is this something i should be worried about ?

whats the best way to repair this ? obviously if i do what i've done before , 11months down the line it'll happen again?

look forward to any help and advice

Thanks - Dean.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't worry about it.

The purpose of architrave is to hide the joint between the wall/ceiling and the timber casings. It also hides any subsequent shrinkage and movement between the two. It just looks like it has taken some of the stress from the natural movement in hot/cold conditions.

You could repair it with a flexible filler, but it would probably come back again and rib the filler out.

I wouldn't worry about it.

The purpose of architrave is to hide the joint between the wall/ceiling and the timber casings. It also hides any subsequent shrinkage and movement between the two. It just looks like it has taken some of the stress from the natural movement in hot/cold conditions.

You could repair it with a flexible filler, but it would probably come back again and rib the filler out.
THanks for the reply DIYerHelp :) can you recommend any sort of flexible filler? the architrave was a nightmare to sand and paint and looks like i'll have to go back over it all as it really does look unsightly :(

Sponsored Links
Use a tube of decorators caulk (trade quality, not B&Q etc) , thumb it in , wipe of the excess with a damp sponge. ready for u/c & gloss

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back