Cracking Travertine Tiles????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's been a little over a year since we had our bathroom tiled - and majority of the travertine tiles we used on the external walls have cracked.

To set the scene... we bought a run down basement flat and went about a major renovation - converting from a studio to a one bed by opening up the space and tucking the bathroom (wet room) in what was a fairly substantial utility room. The utility appears to have been a later addition (the building is Victorian) and is partly submerged. The tiles are on 3 walls and the floor (all travertine).

The tiles started cracking on two walls around 3 months after installation - the floor and the third wall remain sound - does anyone have any idea why they may crack? Could it be movement? Although no evidence on the external walls of this... Damp? Would penetrative damp cause the travertine to crack? Temperature change? The 2 walls with the cracked tiles are only partially submerged and the walls are not well insulated

I am at a complete loss and before ripping out and trying again, I'm hoping to get to the bottom of it

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
If you put a straight edge across them is there a bulge?

Photo would be good.

Could be slight movement doesnt take much to crack trav it's a natural stone so has fault lines in it so tiles will have random cracks I don't like trav its murder to cut and takes nothing to break it by the way jo nice to see you

Could be slight movement doesnt take much to crack trav it's a natural stone so has fault lines in it so tiles will have random cracks I don't like trav its murder to cut and takes nothing to break it by the way jo nice to see you

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back