Cracks appearing in Tory blue wall?.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe the above thread title would be more appropriate in the building section.

Anyway, a rock solid tory majority of 16000 overturned in a by election.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...rsham-conservative-conservatives-b941293.html

It doesn't bode well for Boris, gains in the north offset by losses in the south.

In the zero sum game of FPTP politics, if you lose one, the opposition gain one.

An 80 seat majority looks good but come election time, every seat lost is one gained by the opposition parties who will most likely gang up to get rid of Boris.

Sponsored Links
Maybe the above thread title would be more appropriate in the building section.

Anyway, a rock solid tory majority of 16000 overturned in a by election.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...rsham-conservative-conservatives-b941293.html

It doesn't bode well for Boris, gains in the north offset by losses in the south.

In the zero sum game of FPTP politics, if you lose one, the opposition gain one.

An 80 seat majority looks good but come election time, every seat lost is one gained by the opposition parties who will most likely gang up to get rid of Boris.

tbh I think it was a good result
For democracy

not the liberals but the country needs some credible opposition

The nasty party have nothing to worry about...

They are about to change the electoral boundaries in their favour, including reducing the number of seats in Scotland and Wales whilst increasing them mainly in tory little englander areas...

A classic piece of gerrymandering...

And the archaic undemocratic UK electoral system gets even worse!

Sponsored Links
Easy to protest or vote for the candidates you want when you know it won’t change the outcome of who is in the government.

Let’s face it the liberals needed some type of pick up for moral

listening to them on the radio they are not far short of telling there activists to

go home and prepare for government :)

there is another bye election afaik shortly

labour need to hold that seat
It would imo be the best out come

again good for democracy imo

The Tories are just teasing them. You know when you tease a kitten with a fluffy mouse on a piece of string? Well, if you don’t let the kitten catch the mouse occasionally, it’ll give up and you won’t have any more fun with it. :sneaky:

Whenever I go back to Berkshire, Slough, Reading Windsor etc, I'm staggered at the amount of change, the amount of homes being built. Some places I can't even recognise and become disorientated by the change. Whenever I'm in that neck of the woods I visit family in Hertfordshire, rather than jump on the M25 I like to take the back roads, for me it's like a trip down memory lane.
I'll head north out of Slough on the backroads to Fulmer, maybe take in Pinewood Studios, Iver and into South Bucks, Denham, Maple Cross, Rickmansworth and onto the M25.
Coming back I'll take a slightly different route through Chesham, Amersham and Beaconsfield.
I know these areas well from when I first started driving almost 50 years ago, and here's the thing, in all that time they haven't changed at all. They look exactly as they did 50 years ago. They're protected by large areas of greenbelt and South Bucks Council who are ruthless at denying planning for new developements.

But then the Conservatives announce they're going to relax home building rules and make it easier to get permission for developing green belt land.

I suspect the people of Chesham and Amersham have just said 'not in my ******* back yard.

I'm sure there are other reasons and apparently the libs carried out a very powerful campaign so well done to them, but South Bucks wants to stay as it is thank you very much.

I’m amazed everytime I go to Canning Town, Custom House and Stratford where I grew up. Totally unrecognisable - looks more like downtown New York. Apartment blocks everywhere.

I thought I was on 'ignore' :LOL:

I thought you said you were closing your account and leaving the country? :LOL:

Keep up. I took you all off ignore when they locked all the GD threads and I remember saying at at the time that’s the last we'll see of you on account of your lack of DIY posts on a DIY forum and sure enough you disappeared. Unfortunately they unlocked them and back you came like a bad smell.

Last edited:
Whenever I go back to Berkshire, Slough, Reading Windsor etc, I'm staggered at the amount of change, the amount of homes being built. Some places I can't even recognise and become disorientated by the change. Whenever I'm in that neck of the woods I visit family in Hertfordshire, rather than jump on the M25 I like to take the back roads, for me it's like a trip down memory lane.
I'll head north out of Slough on the backroads to Fulmer, maybe take in Pinewood Studios, Iver and into South Bucks, Denham, Maple Cross, Rickmansworth and onto the M25.
Coming back I'll take a slightly different route through Chesham, Amersham and Beaconsfield.
I know these areas well from when I first started driving almost 50 years ago, and here's the thing, in all that time they haven't changed at all. They look exactly as they did 50 years ago. They're protected by large areas of greenbelt and South Bucks Council who are ruthless at denying planning for new developements.

But then the Conservatives announce they're going to relax home building rules and make it easier to get permission for developing green belt land.

I suspect the people of Chesham and Amersham have just said 'not in my ******* back yard.

I'm sure there are other reasons and apparently the libs carried out a very powerful campaign so well done to them, but South Bucks wants to stay as it is thank you very much.

This incessant thoughtless building is going to lose the Tories the next election, almost everyone in North Essex is up in arms about it.

The local Tory council are amazingly useless, haven't got a clue, hiding in their own ivory towers (which conveniently always have planning permission denied ), banning councillors from meetings as they have the majority and don't want to be held to account.

Maybe next time round we'll get some decent viable opposition.

We know houses need to be built but these new relaxations have just given builders carte blanche, ignoring brown fields which should be developed before spilling out further to the green fields.

The farmers are partly to blame for being greedy, but then who wouldn't sell their land for a few million,

The Tories are just teasing them. You know when you tease a kitten with a fluffy mouse on a piece of string? Well, if you don’t let the kitten catch the mouse occasionally, it’ll give up and you won’t have any more fun with it.

100% drivel.

Sponsored Links
Back