Cracks around windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people. I have been living in a 70’s house for 7 months and noticed hairline cracks around the edges of old windows (over 20 years at least) but I’m worried that this is potentially a structural issue. Can anyone advise me on this it’ll be greatly appreciated. Images attached. First pic is upstairs rest downstairs.

Ps… upstairs was plastered end of august. Also cracks between ceiling and wall.

Last image is most worrying to me

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 28
Sponsored Links
They look like common shrinkage cracks from several possible reasons other than structural movement.

Structural cracking with get wider and wider and be on the outside too.

Appreciate the response Woody. Btw just to clarify I’ve looked at the last one nearly 2 months and no change. Also nothing on the outside that looks “alarming”.

Sponsored Links
They are really common. Typically it's caused by heating and humidity and sudden or excessive changes (inside or out), and it's a phenomenon which can occur any time even after many years.

It's effectively a sudden "snap" and that's it.

Once confident that is not ongoing, repairs will need mesh in the plaster as otherwise if just filled they tend to reappear.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back