Cracks in ceiling re-apperaing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Looking for some advice please.

About 18 months I had my entire bedroom re-skimmed. The plastere did a good job, he taped the cracks and one crack above the door that had always been there in past from door frame movement, this crack as not returned since. :D

We are now on the second winter since the bedroom was skimmed. In the last few days I have noticed a couple medium size cracks and one running half way across the ceiling. These cracks are thin/hairline but noticeable and both appear to begin at the outside wall and move in towards the centre.

I do have a loft above the bedroom, which is boarded and is used for storage. But there is nothing up there of what I would class significant weight, plus I have not been up there for ages. Where the cracks have appeared is even in areas of the loft that I have been no where near. I.e no additional weight or movement in that area of the loft.

I am annoyed that I went to the time, effort and cost of having the entire bedroom re-skimmed, decorated and carpeted only for cracks to return already.

Are these just cracks from house movement? I live in a modern house, about 20 years old and semi detached. I feel its some what pointless now to go to the effort of having the cracks filled and skimmed over again.

I can't see how it could be the plaster as the appeared to do a good job and I felt the cracks would of appeared earlier if it was a lack of sealant under the slim.

Any advice would be appreciated?

Sponsored Links
It's probably thermal movement of the timber. Get a tube of Crack Attack from the pound shop. Five minute fix.

sometimes just taping cracks is not enough espec along plasterboard joints, if that is where the cracks are then the boards should have been sured up with screws into the joists before taping and skimming if not they have a habit of coming back

Sponsored Links
Small cracks in plaster are not unusual and rarely something to worry about other than they look bad. They appear for a couple of reasons.

Movement is possible as it’s a new house. The timbers dry out and shrink a little and cracks appear.

For me the most likely reason is that the plasterboard has been nailed up and not screwed. This will allow small amounts of movement between the boards that will make them crack; tape or not.

There’s little you can do except screw the boards, tape and re-plaster, which I’m guessing you don’t want to. You can fill and re-pain, but it’s likely the cracks will reappear, even if you scrape the cracks out before filling.

If the cracks are hairline then you could line the ceiling with a decent lining paper of about 1400 – 1800 weight and paint that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back