cracks in ceilings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bathroom ceiling has four cracks emanating from the light rose. I have deepened the cracks and been told to fill them with builders\\\' flexible caulk. Whilst clearing the cracks I have removed some of the paint on the ceiling so that bare plaster is exposed alongside the cracks and the present emulsion is no longer a smooth surface; some of the ceiling is painted and some is bare plaster. What is the best way to ensure that I end up with a smooth ceiling? Do I paint the bare surface more than I will paint the rest of the ceiling?
Thanks for any advice. I read on your site that you recommend the use of filler. Won't this "crack up" again? Hence being told to use flexible caulk.

Sponsored Links
Depends on the nature of the cracks really..caulk is ok but it does tend to shrink....so you'l have to do a few appications...

The thing you have to be careful of is 'scars' forming on the ceiling because of the filler......if the ceiling was painted with a rooler before then touch up any filler using a radiator roller, this should help get the 'texture' back...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back