1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Cracks in exterior render

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by -Paul-, 28 Aug 2019.

1. -Paul-

-Paul-

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi
    My parents in laws house has some cracks in the exterior render which I wanted to patch up and touch up with paint. See the two cracks below (on the second closeup picture it makes the crack look quite wide but they are only one to two mm wide).

Can I just use an exterior caulk like this https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-exterior-decorators-caulk-white-310ml/9735h ?

Thank you for your help

Side of window
    [​IMG]

Side of window closeup
    [​IMG]

Above window
    [​IMG]

2. Sponsored Links
  3. opps

opps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Image 1&2 (and possibly 3), I'd use a MS polymer, eg, Stixall, CT1, Sixaflex. You need to apply waterbased paints over them before you can apply oil based paints. They are almost as flexible as silicone sealants but have the added advantage of being paintable.

In image number 3, once you use the MS polymer, after the first coat of paint, you may want to throw some sand at the first coat of paint to hide the new smooth line.

A tube will cost £5 to 10 but they are very sticky, I'd recommend buy some decorators' wipes to clean your fingers after (price £5 to 10).

Standard caulk will shrink back and is more likely to crack again. It may suffice but do you want to risk having to do the job twice.

If, for whatever reason, you don't want to use a MS polymer, Toupret make a caulk with fibres to resist cracking (Fibracryl- approx £8), it will shrink though.

4. -Paul-

-Paul-

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
Sponsored Links