cracks in loft beam and missing concrete blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went for a 2nd viewing of a house we like.

Went into the loft and noticed some cracks in one of the support beams and some missing concrete blocks.

Have uploaded some pics.

I know nothing about lofts, so hoping someone can give me clue me into what I'm looking at.

In particular:

1) what could have caused the cracks? (my dad suggested it could be from the wood drying out)
2) any reason why the wall should be missing concrete blocks (you can see they're missing from the right side of the wall)? will this affect the structure or insulation of house?
3) any reason why there are different coloured (replacement?) blocks under the beam?
4) any reason there's a piece of wood supporting the opposite beam but not this one?

Wall and beams are part of extension build in 2003.

Any advice greatly appreciated. If we proceeded with the house we'd get a full structural survey but hoping I might get some pointers here first.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
1) Yes
2) Yes, lazy and poor finish will not fall down though, would be more concerned by what would appear to be the purlin (timber) appears to be sat on flue blocks. Is there a gas fire etc at this end of the building? Is that a stainless pipe I can see lurking behind the purlin.
3) As above, can you upload a zoomed picture ?
4) Probably a prop used before the wall was built.

Has the house been signed off ? Purlin timbers look a little small to me.

Wow, thanks mikric, you're spot on.

There is a gas fireplace at this end of the building and when I checked the overhead pics on googlemaps I can see a small exhaust vent directly above the pipe you noticed in the loft.

I didn't get close to the wall because of the sea of insulation and the estate agent hurrying us on but what you're saying makes sense.

How bad is it having the purlin sitting on flue blocks? Is it the amount of support that is the issue here?

So the cracks in the purlin - should I not worry about them?

Extension including wall and roof was done in 2003, so I'm guessing it was signed off.

Thanks again. Really appreciate the help.

and the estate agent hurrying us

Big shiny warning right there. A good estate agent who has nothing to hide should never hurry a customer.

(FWIW, the timber looks fine. Cracks along the grain are known as shakes and don't affect strength at all. Can't really see what you mean about the rest of it though, zoomed too much this time?)

Sponsored Links
and the estate agent hurrying us

Big shiny warning right there. A good estate agent who has nothing to hide should never hurry a customer.

(FWIW, the timber looks fine. Cracks along the grain are known as shakes and don't affect strength at all.

The estate agent is okay, it was just the end of the day and she had to get back to the office to close up. I think she had a date because we saw her later in the restaurant she recommended. She said that we're welcome to have another viewing and she was fine when we went round the upstairs checking windows, flushing loos etc.

Thanks for reassuring us about the timber. It's just funny coincidence that the only timber with cracks in the loft is the one sitting on the flue blocks.

Can't really see what you mean about the rest of it though, zoomed too much this time?)

Not sure what you mean here?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back