loft conversion - fitting stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
housed.jpg

first of all hello to everyone, just registered to ask about something.

above is my current layout of the loft

its mid terrace, left and right being adjoining walls, black square is current hatch access to the loft.

Black lines are wood beams , I don't really know what they support but like you can see one of them is cut to allow hatch access. 3 bolder lines are wood beams that sit on top of the other ones and roof beams are attached to these.

Idea is to make stairs parallel to middle beam (red rectangle) but that would mean cutting more then one beam and fitting some sort of rectangle structure and connecting them to beams.

My question really is whether its possible to cut 3 beams and fit rectangle steel (or wood) construction without weakening the beams?

mac

Sponsored Links
In a word yes.
But if you are un-sure what those wooden beams are, the ones that hold up your ceiling and tie in your roof rafters, then i would be seriously thinking about getting in some proffessional help,,before you begin to embark on such a venture.

as you mention loft conversion you havent mentioned the timber sizes [suspect 4x2"] length off span without wall underneath and centres[space between timber centres]

big all

Sponsored Links
Are you sure the existing structure will cope with the weight ?

Most loft areas require double joisting or steels to cope with 'passenger' traffic, weight of floor and furniture etc.

Someone mentioned to me that existing (non habitable) loft areas were designed to cope with just supporting the ceiling, quoted as just 20% of the required strength needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back