loft conversion in instalments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At present i cannot afford to get a full conversion as a start i want to board my loft properly.( victorian terrace 3 rooms per floor) Having read on here and elsewhere i know i do not need planning but will need building regs i will am planning to fit dormer at rear of property and 2 velux to the front.
1 how do i fit/replace floor beam do can i bolt the 7x3 or 8x2 to the current beams fitted from outside wall to center wall as current beams.
2 can to floor the be fitted directly to these new beams or will addition noggins be needed. fitting extra insulation
3 I will tidy up the wiring (usually loft rats nest) i understand that i will not need sparky certificate
4 can i fit a ring main myself providing it is to current regs then get it checked or will a sparky need to complete all the electric work.
5 is the any restrictions on angle off stairs (screwfix have very steep set) with space at a premium what to keep as much as possible

thanks for any help clearing up above stuart

Sponsored Links
do not take it as read that you do not need planning. Many councils have different interpretations of planning regs so check with them first about what you are proposing to do.

I have read the local planning web site and at present planning is not needed but i am going to phone boc soon for advice stair route as i my current stairs are steeper than 42 degrees

Sponsored Links
good idea to speak to planning and BCO

if the house has already had any sort of extension it may have used up any permitted development allowances

the existing stair (ground to first floor) angle does not need to be changed (to 42 or less) just the new stairs to the loft conversion

unless i read you wrong you are planning dormer windows.

any change to the roofline wiil require planning permission.

if yoy stick to velux windows then you will get away with building regs only.

this is my loacl council so putting it to the rear i have read this as ok

Roof extensions do not need planning permission, provided that:

any extension does not exceed the highest part of the existing roof;
any extension does not extend beyond an existing roof slope which fronts a highway (a footpath may be a highway for the purposes of this provision);
the cubic content of the house is not increased by more than 40m3, in the case of a terraced house or 50m3 in any other case;
as with other extensions, the cubic content of the original house is not increased beyond the limits set out above. If the house has been extended before, the volume of this must be added to the roof extension and the result must be less than the relevant limit;
the house is not in a conservation area or an AONB.

Wouldn't use that staircase unless you really have to. Stayed at a friends house that had 'stairs' like that... they are more ladders than stairs really....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back