Cracks in plaster and corners of rooms.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, this is my first post. I'm currently trying to renovate my house on a budget and am running out of money to pay trades. I'm about to attempt plastering one of the bedrooms and have a few questions for the experts on here. 3 of the walls are in good shape but one wall which was papered and has now been stripped resembles what I can only describe as looking like an egg shell. In pretty much all the corners there are cracks running down the walls but most notably between the stud walls that are plaster boarded and the solid walls. There are also various chunks missing where new sockets have been fitted and light switches moved.

I was going to pva the whole room then. For the big holes I was going to fill with bonding then scrim. The cracks in the corners I was going to cut with stanly knife to open them up then fill with bonding then scrim and then skim the whole lot. Does this sound about right? My main question though is what to do with the egg shell wall? They r very small cracks so should I just skim straight over? Skrim them all (there are a lot) then skim? Or cover the whole wall with bonding then skim?

Sponsored Links
The cracks in the corners would repair as you said, rake out, fill, tape then skim. The "egg shell wall",,, rub the back of your fingernails over the wall to see if the plaster sounds "hollow". If it does, remove it, but if it doesn't, put tapes over the cracks, pva the whole wall, then skim the wall while the pva is still wet/tacky.looking closely at the picture it does look as though the skimmed coat on the egg shell wall could be blown/loose.

Thanks for the quick reply. The egg shell wall is slightly blown in places but nearly all of it sounds good and not hollow. There are a few patches which are say rugby ball sized, but I wouldn't say it was bad enough to remove the whole lot. Should i remove these small patches and bond and scrim? then scrim the remaining cracks? also when you say "rake out the corners" what kind of gap should i be aiming for? your help is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The cracks in the corners, rake out with a stanley knife couple of ml, damp down with a wet brush and put filler on then tape. The small hollow patches, you can either cut out, damp down and refill or if its not bad tape over any cracks in the wall, pva then skim.[/code]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back