Cracks in plaster should I be concerned?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some new cracks opening up in plaster. The plaster is getting on for 20 years old and hasn't been redecorated in about 5 years. However, all these cracks are in the same area of the house - either side of an internal door and either side of an internal wall that has been knocked through. I am selling my house and the buyer's surveyor came last week. I am assuming that the surveyor will recommend a structural engineer to have a look and panicking that there may be a more serious problem. Any opinions on whether these look serious?

Attachments

• plaster cracks 6.jpg
    plaster cracks 6.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 109
  • plaster cracks 5.jpg
    plaster cracks 5.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 108
  • plaster cracks 4.jpg
    plaster cracks 4.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 102
  • plaster cracks 3.jpg
    plaster cracks 3.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 104
  • Plaster cracks 2.jpg
    Plaster cracks 2.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 109
  • Plaster cracks 1.jpg
    Plaster cracks 1.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 140
Sponsored Links
What kind of survey is the buyer having? With a home buyers report they barely do a walk around. If this is an internal wall they look like a bit of expansion. Scrape, fill, sand and paint.

What kind of survey is the buyer having? With a home buyers report they barely do a walk around. If this is an internal wall they look like a bit of expansion. Scrape, fill, sand and paint.
Thanks, that's reassuring. The survey was a full structural survey unfortunately, and I am worried the surveyor will be covering himself in the report. Part of the problem is I have got behind on maintenance over the last 5 years and I am only just noticing all the problems now that I'm selling. If the sale falls through I will definitely redecorate all the defects before putting it on the market again.

Sponsored Links
I suspect they are focused more on the stamp duty changes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back