Cracks in Plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I live in a 1930's mid terraced house , I am getting a builder to skim the house 3 bedrooms , passageway celing and the landing , however I've got cracks on the roof is there a way to repair it , as the builder said he can join the cracks and tape it up would this work ?

As I can't afford to get a new plasterboards on all the rooms , he is quoting £2000 for the rooms to be skimmed and he is due to start on christmas eve and work should go on for a month ,

Is it recommended to get work done at this time of the year when it gets dark at 4 or wait till the days are longer ?

Sponsored Links
He`s a plastering builder :confused: - I`d get him to give a price for each room / area ( must add up to 2 grand) and tell him you want one done @ a time then will pay for each - or is he a building plasterer . or just a dodgy geezer from dahn the Old Kent Rahd :mrgreen: A month for 3 bedrooms and 2 other areas , c.£400 per room / area , suppose it`s abaht right for The Smoke

He said £250 per room , but he said he can do all the rooms for 2 grand , he isn't a dodgy builder haha , he is a recommended builder/handyman/decorator , I live in west london about 10 minutes from London Heathrow , but is there a chance that the cracks will re-appear ?

Why is he starting Christmas eve? He should be taking nowhere near a month for that FFS! Get him to do one room first - he may well be a bodge artist. Overpriced too. If he's charging £250 per room for three rooms and the hallway - that's a grand - not Two grand.

Sponsored Links
He doesn't celebrate christmas , he is definately not a dodge builder , I just asked my mom it#s £400 per room , it's £250 to paint the room so my bad

3 bedrooms , landing , passage way and a front reception room

Unless you get 3 to 5 quotes and check references and see examples of work your wasting your time.

Doesn't celebrate Christmas? Say no more. :rolleyes:

£400 per room is well over-priced for a skim and paint.

What's he doing for a month? It's not even a two week job.

Is the house empty? If so I would do the job in around 7 to 8 days and charge around £1200.

I bet he's an Easyfill plasterer.

He doesn't celebrate christmas , he is definately not a dodge builder , I just asked my mom it#s £400 per room , it's £250 to paint the room so my bad

3 bedrooms , landing , passage way and a front reception room
so what are you saying its £400 for a skim and its £250 for paint? and it all totals £2000? also where is this crack you are on about in the roof? if its the ceiling in a room its best to sure it up first, also for a handyman come builder/painter that price is crazy go and get a quote from a proper spread

And even if the house is empty his new neighbours won't want people clonking around over the Christmas break.

He should be using good British trades - not only will he get a top job - it'll cost him less and they'll guarantee their work.

Apologies for the late reply , the 2000 doesn't include painting it just includes skimming walls and ceiling

3 Bedrooms , landing , staircase walls and ceiling , front reception room and passageway , the cracks is on the ceiling pretty large but he can join them is there any chance of them coming back ?

For the painting after the skimming i understand you need to do a miscoat followed by two coats is that true ?

Is a mistcoat necessary ?

He has is own way of getting building materials also how long do you have to wait till you paint the walls ?

Apologies for the late reply , the 2000 doesn't include painting it just includes skimming walls and ceiling

3 Bedrooms , landing , staircase walls and ceiling , front reception room and passageway , the cracks is on the ceiling pretty large but he can join them is there any chance of them coming back ?

For the painting after the skimming i understand you need to do a miscoat followed by two coats is that true ?

Is a mistcoat necessary ?

He has is own way of getting building materials also how long do you have to wait till you paint the walls ?

1930's property, is it 1930's plaster? if so forget over skim, the cracks will return or others appear. I would not spend 2K on a hash up!
As far as cost what size are the rooms, walls and ceiling heights.

can you upload some pics of the job ? it will give us a better view of your situation and also we will be able to get a better view of how much the job is worth

Op, how many quotes have you had? Have you seen any of this fella's work? Seriously, West London, you'll be able to get a load more quotes pretty quickly.

As an example, we had a quote (Chiswick) to overboard a 12' by 9' ceiling and skim for £1500 and he didn't even come to see the job. Another bloke came round and patched it perfectly (no signs of any crack over the last year and it's a work of a pro) for less than £150.

You've gotta look around!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back