Cracks in two week old plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

We had two rooms and a hall skimmed two weeks ago. Although at first we were really pleased with the work we are now starting to have some doubts. As part of the work he replaced the old wooden rounded corner beading (sorry I don't know the correct terminology) with new straight metal corner beading. We got several quotes and all said they would do this as it would stop cracks appearing. However last night we noticed that on almost every corner that has been replastered and given new beadin there are full wall length cracks.

My question is pretty obvious.... Is this normal, should we accept the work? We have already paid the plasterer however he is coming back next week to finish off a wall which we were waiting for a new fireplace to be installed on. Woud it be reasonable to expect to him to sort these cracks out?

Thanks for your help in advance :)

Sponsored Links
You say he REPLACED the bull-nose beading?

What he's done is tack the new metal beading to the timber beading and the water in the plaster has caused the timber to swell. As it's dried out it has shrunk back and as plaster has no give - it's come out as cracks.

You may get away with just filling the cracks now it's dried out and is unlikely to swell up again.

You say he REPLACED the bull-nose beading?

What he's done is tack the new metal beading to the timber beading and the water in the plaster has caused the timber to swell. As it's dried out it has shrunk back and as plaster has no give - it's come out as cracks.

You may get away with just filling the cracks now it's dried out and is unlikely to swell up again.

And/or ....... he has put a bead on , the wings of which do not cover the joint between timber and plaster.

He should have put on scrim to cover this joint before the bead went on.

Even if the timber was well sealed with gloss paint, and moisture isn't to blame, you will get a crack where wood meets plaster ( this is why we have architrave)

Sponsored Links
I always take the wooden bead off, and stick a bead on and make it good with bonding. Then i have no problem with wood, drying or anything like that.

As for your cracks, are they big or just hairline? as you could just fill them. If you can take a picture, we may get a better idea. its quite easy to post a pic on this forum.

They are not hairline cracks at all, something has gone wrong. Does the bead move if you wiggle it slightly? dont go mad with it though. If it moves it need doing again.

Some people stick there beads on, i have never agreed with this, i always nail or screw.

I would get your plasterer back.

To be honest, that is a terrible job Sarah. It looks to me as if that corner is falling apart. There was "no need" to remove the wooden beading at all, and it's a thing i wouldn't ever dream of doing.
To think that that corner has been there for many many years, "solid as a rock", then along comes a "plasterer", who,, not knowing what he's doing, removes the original wooden corner bead, damaging the wall,, plasterers it again using a new "thin coat bead", and in 2 weeks or so, it cracks and starts falling to bits. :rolleyes:
It is so much easier to prep the wooden beaded corner as it is, like Micilin said, using pva/bonding coat, "hessian scrim", and then fix the metal bead, knowing it's solid underneath.
If it's done properly, it wont be a problem. You shouldn't have to go back and repair "major cracking", and that is what you have there in your job. That beading/plaster looks as if it is ready to pull/fall away from the corner!!

Nobody uses hessian scrim - it's rubbish. Join the new century.

Tell the hessian scrim manufacturers that Joe. I've always got some rolls in my van, along with rolls of fibre tape and paper tape,,,,
I've had this argument with you before. You were talking a load of crap about it even then as well!! :LOL:

It's only made for people that pretend to be green and 'old school'. It was rubbish then and it's rubbish now (which is why it's rarely used).

How many more threads are you going to get locked?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back