1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Cracks in Wall - cause for concern

Discussion in 'Building' started by David Weeks, 26 Feb 2021.

1. David Weeks

David Weeks

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

We're looking to purchase a 1970's property. When we got the survey done, it flagged a crack in the porch extension which was built in the 1980's. We're aware that a public drain runs alongside it so asked the vendor to arrange a CCTV survey of the drain. She's pretty reluctant to, as she claims it was from when the window in the porch was replaced.

I've popped over to have a look and in fairness it does seem to start from the window area, and run down the cement line in a zig zag way.

I'm not opposed to paying for a CCTV survey of the drain, but I'm also not convinced its a massive issue. It runs down from the window, around the corner of the porch and down to around 3-4 bricks above ground level. Any advice appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It's nothing to do with the window. The corner has clearly dropped, been repointed and then dropped some more.

The issue is, has it stopped moving?

A leaking drain would be an obvious thing to check.

3. Sponsored Links
  4. David Weeks

David Weeks

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You're absolutely right- I hadn't spotted that the mortar had been re-done where the zig zag is. That's concerning. So it's effectively happened before, been 'fixed' and has still cracked?

5. jlaw

jlaw

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Your original post says the cracking stops 4 courses above the DPC.

Id double check to make sure it doesn't run through the DPC to ground level? If it does this indicates movement below ground.

Evidence of this may have been patched up previously so be careful.

Replacing the window would not cause cracking as per your pics.

6. Sponsored Links