Cracks in Wall - cause for concern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We're looking to purchase a 1970's property. When we got the survey done, it flagged a crack in the porch extension which was built in the 1980's. We're aware that a public drain runs alongside it so asked the vendor to arrange a CCTV survey of the drain. She's pretty reluctant to, as she claims it was from when the window in the porch was replaced.

I've popped over to have a look and in fairness it does seem to start from the window area, and run down the cement line in a zig zag way.

I'm not opposed to paying for a CCTV survey of the drain, but I'm also not convinced its a massive issue. It runs down from the window, around the corner of the porch and down to around 3-4 bricks above ground level. Any advice appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_5084.JPG
    IMG_5084.JPG
    446.7 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_5086.JPG
    IMG_5086.JPG
    363.6 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_5087.JPG
    IMG_5087.JPG
    637.7 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_5088.JPG
    IMG_5088.JPG
    198.8 KB · Views: 128
Sponsored Links
It's nothing to do with the window. The corner has clearly dropped, been repointed and then dropped some more.

The issue is, has it stopped moving?

A leaking drain would be an obvious thing to check.

You're absolutely right- I hadn't spotted that the mortar had been re-done where the zig zag is. That's concerning. So it's effectively happened before, been 'fixed' and has still cracked?

Sponsored Links
Your original post says the cracking stops 4 courses above the DPC.

Id double check to make sure it doesn't run through the DPC to ground level? If it does this indicates movement below ground.

Evidence of this may have been patched up previously so be careful.

Replacing the window would not cause cracking as per your pics.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back