Cracks on new skimmed walls

I also think the shape of the arch itself, could have been formed much, much better, if the plasterer had used a flexible plastic radius bead, rather than snipping the beading he used, every foot or so, to try to form the shape. It cranks around like a fifty pence piece. Sorry,, but i'm just saying it as it is.

Roughcaster.
Bit mean of you to comment on that, if you don't mind me saying. :confused:

I don't think so Dext,, when you pay good money to have a professional job done, you expect a professional looking finish,, as i said, it's my opinion, and i've seen it before, but to me it spoils a job. Cracks can be sorted out,, archway shapes can be re-formed.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
Fair point rc - just didn't want the op to get worried/upset especially since (s)he seems close to painting and may not have noticed. But what's done is done.

Still a bit concerned about the cracks - if the opening has been there some time and (from what we can gather) the subcoat has been on for a while, then why the cracking now :confused:

See what some of the others on here have to say. As long as the plasters not blown, and the brickworks sound, the cracks can be taped over, sanded down and then painted over. As i said,,, and i feel rotten now for mentioning the shape of the arch,, but that can be easily sorted out too.

Roughcaster.

If the work was applied on P/board and taped properly I don't think there would be any cracks. So if the work is done on to brick-work then the only reason i can see that there are cracks is that the surface has not been sealed properly. As for the arch work if you are going to make an archway be it out of flexible beads or standard metal beads ( don't forget plastic beads haven't been around that long) you have got to know what you are doing!!I have just put one right where the customer wanted a "Church Arch" and the plasterer didn't know how to do it and F##ked it up.. So I agree entirely with Roughcaster if you cant do the job properly don't even attempt it!!!

Sponsored Links
alright, alright.

However, the op was asking about the cracks, not the quality of the curvature of the arch. As such, still think that a bit of blissful ignorance wouldn't have gone amiss.

Never mind

One thing I like about this forum specifically, is that you can post even naive questions and the experts will take the time to give an answer and not ridicule. The fact you are discussing, shows a lot of thoughtfulness on the part of all :D

For my 4p worth, I didn't think Roughcaster's comments were too harsh. They were honest. In fact, I had to go back to the picture and take a closer look - as I hadn't looked close enough the first time!
This may mean the OP hadn't looked close enough themselves and are probably fine with it.

as someone else has said the 2 cracks at the top is where the brick meets the arch and can be taped over, but theres no garenteee that you will not see those 2 cracks again as cracks like that sometimes have a tendency to come back, the crack running down the side should be fixed properly plaster taken out and patched back in, i cant see clearly from the photo is it just me? or is that crack running along the bead? looks like its running down the bead and branching off looks like the effect you would get if the bead is not put on securley or the bead has taken a knock ?

They look like tension cracks to me, as if the the whole thing has shrunk slightly.

If this is the case and it is a thermal thing then the plasterer would not have been prepared for it.

Also

If there were cracks in the brickwork & these were not raked, re-pointed & then reinforced with steel lath, corresponding cracks will almost certainly appear through the render base & finish. I do a lot of this type of remedial work & in my experience no amount of taping will hold it together, sometimes even the lath won’t guarantee success. I assume there is some sort of support lintel in the wall above the arch & the arch itself is just cosmetic?

I’ve got to agree with RC, that arch is very rough around the edges & will certainly need loads of filler before it looks reasonable! I had a Spanish arch in my previous property which has a much shallower curve with radiused corners; would look much better IMO.

Assuming it’s a plasterboard formed arch, unless the joint line is really well taped there is always a danger of cracks forming due to differential expansion where the two dissimilar materials meet (brick/boards); even then it can still happen & sometimes no amount of taping will hold it together. I can’t make out from the pics what’s going on down the sides of the arch; weather or not it’s just scummy plaster marks or something going on behind there with filling material, possible used when the opening was formed. The horizontal crack could be due to a corresponding crack in the mortar along a brick coarse or nothing more than a shrinkage crack in the base coat; did your spread use a base coat plaster or sand/cement render base? Filler may sort it out but then again, it might not.

Re the conservatory; if you remove or have no external doors between a conservatory & the main property, it ceases to be a conservatory & becomes an extension which must comply with current Building Regulations with regard to thermal insulation, foundations & construction methods. Without a set of external French doors between the two, what you actually have there is an unauthorised extension which doesn’t & never can comply with Building Regulations. It will almost certainly be picked up when you come to sell & will seriously impair your HIP energy rating. It will also be classed as non compliant, unauthorised building work which will almost certainly bring a halt to any potential sale until you install a set of external doors between the two & that arch will make it somewhat more difficult & expensive. ;)

Talk about sticking the boot in, Blimey
Boot, what boot :?: After all the questions I asked, I gave my considered opinion on the problem & although I was late in picking up on the OP's feedback today, I broadly agree with what others have said about the possible causes & added a couple of considerations of my own.

If you’re referring to the comments regarding the legality & possible consequences of the conservatory arrangement then they are definitely based on hard facts, which I always endeavour to achieve. I know the OP didn’t specifically ask about that & may or may not be aware of it or even care; either way it’s for them to decide what, if anything, they do about it.

As I said previously, this is a trade forum not a p u ssy foot chat room; I know it's Christmas Dex but your not going a bit soft on us are you ;)

Well, maybe I am getting a bit soft :oops:
New Years Resolution - I must return to being a hard nosed...... ;)

lol this is one of the most debated and humorous post i have ever read, mac shows us his problem ie "cracks in the wall" and we have gone from cracks, - draughs - insulations - the shape of his arch - building regulations-foundations-wont be able to sell his house ect ect, if mac wasn't paroniod about this wall i bet he is now, i think from the post everyone has submitted he should be able to decide what to do,
i would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone in the plastering forum a happy christmas regards steve

Yeah, and op, while we're at it, I don't like the stained glass. And as for having chrome handles on the windows (or are they fake gold?) - just YUK.

Finally, I see that you've used microbore on the radiator. TUT, TUT, TUT.

Yeah, and op, while we're at it, I don't like the stained glass. And as for having chrome handles on the windows (or are they fake gold?) - just YUK.

Finally, I see that you've used microbore on the radiator. TUT, TUT, TUT.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Merry christmas lads.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back