Cracks on outside wall of potential house am buying?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am new to this forum and wondered if anyone could advise me on this.

Am in the process of buying a house located in Warrington and wondered if these cracks located on the outside wall were anything to worry about? Would they cost a lot to get repaired?

Not had a structural survey yet and wondered if anyone on here could advise?

Cheers in advance

crack.jpg

[/img]

Sponsored Links
You must reasearch this site for similar issues, only then can you provide all the info req'd for a complete answer.

eg. ht. of cracks on elevation
any basements
any internal movement signs
etc. and more pics.

Looks like surface cracks on the cast, does the surface sound hollow when tapped?
Hack it off to see if the cracks go through to the brick/blockwork.

At the very least it looks like the render has blown, does it sound hollow when tapped? Are there any cracks on the inside walls?

You need to get a professional opinion but if all else checks out OK & it’s just a render repair, it’s very difficult to disguise & you will most likely always see where it’s been done. In this case. your offer should at least factor in the cost of a repair &, personally, I’d want to go the whole hog & replace the re-render on the entire wall or at least to a point where it won’t be easily seen; it won’t be cheap!

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the replies folks, you have been very helpful and now I may seek a professional opinion.

Have only had a valuation survey done on the house so may go for a structural survey or building survey.

Even if you go for a full survey be sure to ask for this problem to be looked at & reported specifically.

If that crack is the only thing you have noticed, then save your money and don't bother with a structural survey (ie by a structural engineer)

If however, you want a comment on the general condition of the property, then instruct a building survey (by a building surveyor)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back