Cracks on outside wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am new to this forum and wondered if anyone could advise me on this.

Am in the process of buying a house located in South Croydon and wondered if these cracks located on the outside wall were anything to worry about? Would they cost a lot to get repaired?

20151112_140950.jpg

Not had a structural survey yet and wondered if anyone on here could advise?

Cheers in advance

Sponsored Links
They look like thermal cracks to me. The heating up and cooling down every day have that effect. They'll probably sound hollow if you tap them. A survey is still good though.

Cracks in the render like that are NOT REPAIRABLE.
ALL the render on the whole gable end has blown (come loose), and needs to be removed, otherwise it will all fall off. The render itself has come away from the old brickwork. As Joe says, a survey will tell all. Another thing, just because the render itself is badly cracked, doesn't mean the brickwork underneath is in the same state. Quite often, you'll find the substrate underneath, (brickwork/blocks etc) is in perfect condition. It's a fact that render can "crack and blow" if there is no "key" for the render to adhere too, or it dries out too quick due to "high suction". Wind can dry it out too quick, so will the sun, the mix can be too strong, etc etc. Never a dull moment. Lol.

Double post - please use the one in Building.

Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back