Cracks on top of skirting board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I finally had my new carpet laid today. But after looking closely in one particular room, i've noticed that there is some cracking on the top of the skirting :(

I will try to attach a pic to illustrate this!

It is so frustrating to see the skirting looking a mess on day 1! :(

Anyone know what i can do about it?

Thanks in advance! :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 3,687
Sponsored Links
Short/medium time Remedy? Flexible filler. :)

http://www.screwfix.com/p/unibond-flexible-decorating-filler-white-310ml/69005

Let us know how it went. :)

IF you have to remove the bad SBs? Then slap this sticky stuff on, and dust sheets where you walk.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsen...=Search-_-SearchRec-_-Area1&_requestid=311837

Thanks for the replies!

I did caulk round before undercoating. The skirting is attached to an internal dividing wall (not a solid one), the wall itself is pretty ropey- cracks/dents/chips/bad filler patches :(.
It was fine yest, so i'm wondering if the force of the carpet layers whacking the new carpet down has done this? Esp as the wall is not particularly solid- i could prob put my arm thru it with a bit of force! :/

Am so gutted this has happened! :(

Sponsored Links
Oh my!!! Did they have one of those large things, they use to knee the carpet, and get it taut?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 222
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 223
You've probably hit the nail on the head with the cracking being caused by the carpet fitters. That said, it probably isn't their fault - to get a well fitted carpet it has to be stretched and fitted over the edges of the grippers with a stair tool. This pushes the carpet down in between the skirting and the gripper. If the skirting isn't fixed solidly enough, even the slightest pressure can cause a crack at the weakest point - in this case, it's where you have caulked.
I wouldn't be too alarmed because the carpet may now be holding the skirting a lot firmer (unless the wall really is as flimsy as you suggest) which will allow you to re-caulk the crack and then carefully touch up the paint. Apply a very small amount of caulk and smooth it into the crack with a firm damp sponge, which also helps to wipe away any excess, then allow to dry and touch up the paint.

It's a pity that happened because it looks like you've done a pretty good job of cutting in along the skirting.

You've probably hit the nail on the head with the cracking being caused by the carpet fitters. That said, it probably isn't their fault - to get a well fitted carpet it has to be stretched and fitted over the edges of the grippers with a stair tool. This pushes the carpet down in between the skirting and the gripper. If the skirting isn't fixed solidly enough, even the slightest pressure can cause a crack at the weakest point - in this case, it's where you have caulked.
I wouldn't be too alarmed because the carpet may now be holding the skirting a lot firmer (unless the wall really is as flimsy as you suggest) which will allow you to re-caulk the crack and then carefully touch up the paint. Apply a very small amount of caulk and smooth it into the crack with a firm damp sponge, which also helps to wipe away any excess, then allow to dry and touch up the paint.

It's a pity that happened because it looks like you've done a pretty good job of cutting in along the skirting.

To be fair, the carpet fitters have done a fab job, really taken care not to scuff and scrape my woodwork. Thanks for the info, I'll have to get the dust sheets out for a few touch ups, need to finish off a few window sills too, so will have the paint out anyway.

I did attempt to paint the skirtings etc using tape for straight edges, but found it much easier, and neater, to do it freehand! It actually turned out well..... Unfortunately I don't seem to have a steady hand when painting the edges of door frames! But that's another story! Lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back