Craftsman 20V charger Conversion 110 to 220

Reaction score
Country
Georgia
Hello everyone. I got a Craftsman 20V charger which is 110V but in my country the AC voltage is 220/
Does anybody have an idea how to convert that charger? ( is that possible? ) if you ever made this please explain.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1889.jpg
    IMG_1889.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1888.jpg
    IMG_1888.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1890.jpg
    IMG_1890.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 107
Sponsored Links
If you are in the UK you buy a site transfomer:

Defender Site Transformer.jpg

and then wire your charger up through a BS.4344 (CEE typ 17) 110 volt 16 Amp (yellow, 3-pin) plug:

BS.4343 110v 16A Plug.jpg

or you go onto Amazon and find an appropriate 220 to 110 volt step-down transformer.

110 volt site transformers are mandatory in the UK for site work. I have a number of cordless tool chargers sourced in the USA which are run off UK site transformers - the difference in line frequency in Europe (50Hz in Europe as opposed to 60Hz USA) seems to make no difference to my Makita and Hikoki chargers. Similarly the difference between 230 volt nominal line voltage (actually 240 volt in UK, 220 volt in most of mainland Europe) seems to make no difference

I suggest you move this thread to the electrical forum. It's probably a SMPS which will accept 100-250v without any issues. The Americans often label such universal stuff as 110v only.

It's probably a SMPS which will accept 100-250v without any issues.

CAUTION

Not all SMPS modules that have been produced for use on 110 / 120 volt supplies will operate safely on 230 volt supplies. Some electrolytic capacitors in the SMPS module that have been rated for the 120 volt supply will be over volted by the 230 volt supply and are likely to fail, often explosively.

Sponsored Links
A lot of power tool battery chargers I've come across aren't dual voltage, e.g. from experience Makita, Milwaukee, Hitachi/Hikoki and deWalt. I'd hazard a guess and say that a Canada/USA-only market budget tool such as Craftsman certainly wouldn't even have considered such a requirement

Last edited by a moderator:
The UK has changed to 230V nominal mains already, it was done within a week of being allowed to change. Tapchangers are standard on most substations

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back