Crafty's shed installation

I reckon your Dad must be fit!

crafty1289 said:
i was wondering if it would be worthwhile running any other services to the shed while we have this trench open? any suggestions welcome!

Phone line/house intercom (segregated and shielded)... broadband and intranet... water supply for the kettle... draught Tetleys.

Sponsored Links
Few points:
1)Why is the banjo tag bent away?

2)Run earth to banjo from earth bar... inproves Z's

3) I'd have probably had put a short piece of 20mm PVC conduit between adaptable box and CU, and striped it back to leave single insulatated cores withing 20mm or so of the SWA gland

4) Tape is not the best way of intentifying cores, use sleeving, oh, and its generally normal to have the grey as neutral and the black as earth.

5) As for other services, could lay in PVC conduit with cat5e cables in, to give you possibility of phones/computers at a later date, True it doesn't give very good mechanical protection, but the worst that happens if you spade through a network cable is you kill a switch and/or network card

I bent the banjo tag because i figured it would be easier to connect to like that. Or does the earth nut have to go right through the box too? :oops: I didn't fancy drilling any holes in that box - the screw knockouts in the back took some hammering to get them out! I was going to run earth from banjo straight to the CU earth bar anyway - where else would i connect it? :eek:

My sister's boyfriend is nearly a fully trained spark, and he came and had a butchers at what i was doing. he sez to me "whats the idea behind the tape then?" And i was like . . . errrr . . . cant use 3-phase colours on single phase install . . . :rolleyes:

Never mind Tetleys on draught from the house - i'm having a Carling draught pump at the shed! :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
Hope you put a grommet on the adaptable box......
I wrote a "to do" on the picture - to remind me! But if thats all you've got to nit-pick about, then i'm happy! :LOL:

crafty1289 said:
I bent the banjo tag because i figured it would be easier to connect to like that. Or does the earth nut have to go right through the box too?
Thats the normal way of doing it, banjo on the outside, M4 brass bolt through to the inside, then a hoop crimp connector then the nut

I didn't fancy drilling any holes in that box - the screw knockouts in the back took some hammering to get them out!
Shouldn't be a problem if you have a decent drill

I was going to run earth from banjo straight to the CU earth bar anyway - where else would i connect it? :eek:
You might decide not to connect the armour anywhere except the metal box at that end, and just use the core for earthing, and have the armour earthed that the other end... perfectly acceptable (providing Z's is ok) but results in higher Z's than using it to suppliment the earth core

Never mind Tetleys on draught from the house - i'm having a Carling draught pump at the shed! :LOL: :LOL:

Not keen on beer myself, much prefer spirts
drink.gif

so is the supply TN-S? or is it a PME supply although i guess there is no metal pipes etc in the shed ? just timber right? Exported earths etc, just that no bodys picked up on it or have you already discussed it in previous post?

I doubt there would have been the need to export the equipotential zone to the shed as I very rarely see sheds with incoming metal water pipes (Assuming TN-C-S with exported PME)!

PartPapproved said:
so is the supply TN-S? or is it a PME supply although i guess there is no metal pipes etc in the shed ? just timber right? Exported earths etc, just that no bodys picked up on it or have you already discussed it in previous post?
yes, I have exported a PME earth, and i discussed this in a much earlier post. There are no metal pipes etc that need bonding. The whole shed is made of timber, and there is no water or gas supply. :cool:

Right, clipping the SWA to the house wall - how do I handle external corners? How often to clip? And the clips TLC supplied are too big - the cable has a gap around it :evil:

crafty1289 said:
i was wondering if it would be worthwhile running any other services to the shed while we have this trench open? any suggestions welcome!
When you've done everything you think you'll need, lay in a reasonable sized conduit with a thin nylon rope running through it, JIC....

crafty1289 said:
Right, clipping the SWA to the house wall - how do I handle external corners? How often to clip?

Did my shed last weekend, and clipped every 2 foot or so alond the house wall with no real problems. Corners are a absolute dog (or at least they were using 6mm 3 core SWA) - all you can do is put as tight a bend in by hand as you can before you try and clip it - and use extra clips to take the strain ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back