Crafty's shed installation

If he looks closely at his submain he might find he can up that to 40A (6mm² SWA if I remember correctly) but as I don't think he has the equipment to measure Ze and R1 + R2 he couldn't check that his Z's were small enough for a 40A... (but he couldn't check the 32A either :confused: )

Sponsored Links
Hey, Andy. Interesting you should say that because in a thread which i started recently Adam151 made the following comment :

I'd recommend a couple of 20A radial circuits for the loft if you go for the submain idea, reason being, I don't think a 32A breaker would discriminate with a 40A one, though it might if the 40 was a C and the 32 a B , though I can't garentee that you could use a C40, the Z's required for it is getting pretty low at about 0.48 (80% rule of thumb fiqure)

Therefore things aren't always as simple as they seem ???

right! update.

My dad finished digging the 12 metre trench :cool:

So i was able to get the SWA in and terminated at the shed today. My first attempt at SWA termination. Went pretty well, except getting all the sheath wires to the same length was a farce (how do the pro's like to do it?)

Then the sheath grip nuts wouldn't tighten up - the threads kept missing each other. When they finally did mate and tightened up, all was well, and I gave it a good tug to make sure the sheath was firmly gripped.

Then i tightened the rubber waterproof gland, and slid it all into the metal box at the shed (mounted next to the CU). I have yet to obtain some grommets for the metal box, oh, and screws :evil: .

Will post some pictures tomorrow when i can shed some light on the matter (sorry, cheap gag)

Does discrimination really matter? Is there anything in the regs about it?

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
So i was able to get the SWA in and terminated at the shed today. My first attempt at SWA termination. Went pretty well, except getting all the sheath wires to the same length was a farce (how do the pro's like to do it?)
Use a hacksaw to score all the way around the cable scoring into the steel armouring but not cutting right through it.
Using a knife, cut and strip away the excess outer insulation between the cut and the end of the cable. (Remember to cut away from yourself).
Pull back the steel wires a few at a time to where the score is and bend them backwards and forwards till they break off.
Cut back enough outer sheath to allow the armouring to enter the gland but not too much as so the watertight compression rubber doesn't work.

imo it is advisable to have all the bends etc in the cable and it in the correct plain prior to making it off as swa can have a tendancy for the armour length at the end to change when bending it.

securespark said:
crafty1289 said:
My dad finished digging the 12 metre trench

'Ere! You *********** part-timer!!
he makes a good apprentice ;) :LOL:

he's making me pay though - i gotta fill it in tomorrow! My mum's sick of the mountain of muck in the garden and we got family coming for tea. :rolleyes:

S*d that! Get your guests to "pay" for their food with a spot of after-dinner digging. If they whinge, remind them you are saving them from heart disease by keeping ther exercise levels up with aerobic exercise....

XLPE is a bugger to terminate! :evil: Even the cores took ages to strip! Why did nobody warn me!!!! lol. At least one ends done now. But I aint venturing out there to take photos now, its too cold and snowy. :cry:

small XPLE is a nightmare to strip i agree.

larger XPLE isn't too bad in my experiance, the core is strong enough that you can just slice the insulation off with a stanly knife.

spark123 said:
imo it is advisable to have all the bends etc in the cable and it in the correct plain prior to making it off as swa can have a tendancy for the armour length at the end to change when bending it.

Thats the best pro tip to get when making off SWA.

It's nice to see you having ago and not finding it as easy as it looks in the pictures, it never is. :cry:

Your post reminded me of my brother and here is a link to him having ago, You were right to dig your trench by hand ;)

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=47034

still a bit to do - can you see any more i need to do? Other than fit the lids of course . . :LOL: (you can see i had trouble bending the damn SWA cores around the place)
which route would be best? along the house wall or under the deck? abviously one is more attractive . . . . but does it meet regs? (sorry about all the garden furniture obscuring the view - we recently got a load of my gran's stuff dumped in our garden)
a tribute to my dad's hard work! (my mum wants the lawn replaced asap!) :LOL: i was wondering if it would be worthwhile running any other services to the shed while we have this trench open? any suggestions welcome!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back