Crappy walls - but do I need to line? Or can I use EasyFill?

skw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've removed dado rails and thick, textured lining paper from the walls - some are almost perfect newish plaster, others a mixture of old plaster, filler and cracks. But the walls seem pretty sound and are not *far* off smooth enough for painting. The question is: do I go for lining paper, or do I try my hand at using something like Gyproc Easyfill to smooth over the whole thing? It's an older property with various quirky lumps and bumps, and we don't need a totally immaculate, perfect, finish necessarily - but I want it to look OK! Am I right or wrong in thinkign Easyfill is like a poor man's/ amateur's plaster-skim job? And what tools would people recommend for applying Easyfill?

Sponsored Links
Have a look at Gyproc Pro Mix Lite,,,, 17 ltr tub, ready mixed, normally used for taping. Great stuff for thin surface skimming over older plastered walls, that are in not too bad condition. I normally skim a "very thin" coat over the whole wall, leave it overnight to dry, then put another one on next day, as smooth as you can,, let that dry again, then sand it down, with a fine, 180 grit sandpaper. Perfect finish, but dusty work.

If I were you I'd roller on a coat of emulsion. If you see a flaw then fix it. If you don't then ignore it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back