Can I use Wallrock over existing lining paper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wall has lining paper on for about 5 years, good, emulsioned, not lifting anywhere but it wasn't heavy enough to make good job. I want a better finish. Don't really want to take it off for fear of damaging plaster, which had some surface cracks in the skim as I recall.

Can I use a smooth fibre liner ((Wallrock?) on top of the existing lining paper or do I have to remove it?

Ta!

Sponsored Links
No reason why you cant apply Wallrock Fibreliner to existing lining paper, providing it is as solidly adhered as you suggest. If the emulsion is silk or satin then you should give the surface a light sanding all over just to provide a better key for it to stick to.
Presumably, the existing lining paper is hung vertically, so your only issue should be to avoid having a join in the new lining paper directly over one in the existing paper. In most cases it is advisable to hang the base lining paper horizontally and the finish paper vertically but, as the existing paper is stable and already sealed by paint, this shouldn't cause a problem.

Thanks. I've just called in to trade decorating supplies store where they've advised I use Wallrock Thermal liner to overcome the unevenness but said I would have to take the original paper off as the wallrock adhesive would pull the lining paper off (that was applied with traditional, mix-it-yourself, heavy duty Solvite). It's an internal wall BTW.

Anyone any further advice on that?

Thanking you for your time.

Thermal liner is much thicker with a felt like backing (there are a couple of different thicknesses available). It is much harder to hang, you MUST use the correct adhesive and it is designed to be hung directly onto the wall because of the overall weight, so the suppliers are right. I should warn you that the thermal liner will crease badly if you bend or fold it too much, and those creases won't come out, so it should be hung directly from the roll onto the adhesive which MUST be applied pretty thickly to the wall. You should also be aware that, even though the thermal liner can be decorated directly, you will more than likely need to line over it to get a good flat finish.
It is a very good product and does make a difference to the insulation of outside walls. We don't know how bad the defects in you walls are so only you can judge what is necessary.

My advice, if you have never used thermal liner, would be to avoid it if possible or at least be very patient and take your time.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for that. Much appreciated.
I brought a sample of the Wallrock Thermal back with me and must admit was already having doubts about handling it. Couldn't see how you turn an external corner with it and see what you mean about creasing.
We're going to take step back and decide what to do about the wall. May bite the bullet and call plasterer in after all.....
Thanks for your time responding.

The thermal liner is good stuff but I agree with previous comments about difficulty in hanging it. It seems like a sledgehammer to crack a nut, in any case. If the walls are really rough then re-skimming would probably work out not much more expensive than the thermal liner. It's not cheap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back