Crazing on my bathroom wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm looking for advice re my bathroom walls. About 8 years ago we stripped the wallpaper from the bathroom, cleaned the walls, then painted them. I can't remember if it's bathroom paint or not.

Not long after cracks (crazing?) appeared in the paint only (not in the walls). Someone suggested we hadn't got all the paste off before painting.

What I'd like to know is how to fix this. Do I just give it a quick sand and repaint? I wonder if, because we painted years ago, the old paste underneath will have dried out by now? Should I used the Dulux flexible paint? Seem to remember it has a bit of a sheen to it, which I'd rather avoid, but still it would be better than they are now!

We do have an extractor fitted, but I guess we are a bit slack about using it.

Any suggestions are welcomed. I'm trying to get it tidied up before the other half gets onshore, as a surprise!

Sponsored Links
That someone was probably right, sand the affected areas until you achieve a uniform finish and apply an oilbased undercoat, when dry you can carry on with your finish coats.

If she asks how you did it tell her a little bird told you. ;)

Dec.

That someone was probably right, sand the affected areas until you achieve a uniform finish and apply an oilbased undercoat, when dry you can carry on with your finish coats.

tell her a little bird told you.

A little "Decci Bird" even!! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Ha ha ha! Funny thing is - I'm the bird!! Surprise is for the hubby.

I was hoping someone would tell me of a magic paint that would fix all the crazing in one brush stroke, as I had another closer look today, and looks like all the walls need done. Can't afford to get someone in to skim it, so looks like I'll be dusty for days sanding it.

Thanks for your replies. Can I just clarify, is an oil based undercoat what you normally put on skirting boards before the gloss?

Cheers.

Well your a cheeky one aint you, yes it is the undercoat you would apply to woodwork, And it will solve your problem.

Best of luck with your suprise

Dec.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back