Crazing Paint, Sanding, still appearing - what to do next?

R

RattusRat

Hi all, new here. I am slightly confused on whether my painting procedure is good enough.

I am doing some wall painting upstairs, and being pedantic on this stuff, I did some research on how to initiate, given it is my first attempt at painting a full room.

Lowdown:

1. The walls had wallpaper, which was moistened with soapy water, and scraped off entirely with a scraper, until there was nothing left, and just plaster. 80 grit sandpaper was also employed.

2. Washed the walls clean of any dirt, grease etc, with white spirit.

3. The surface was uneven, so I used Polycell Smoothover to provide the smooth finish needed. Any raised areas where the solution was too thick, lumpy etc, was sanded down with 80-120 grit sandpaper until even.

3. I purchased Homebase 'Home of Colour' Dove Grey silk paint (which I deeply regret now), and started on the walls. After two coats, there were still marks and scratches from the filler underneath.

I did not like the silk finish anyway, so I decided to bite the bullet and sand it all off, this time ensuring the surface was super smooth, using 80 grit sandpaper, and removing all the sheen. The walls were now smoother than ever.

4. Consequently, I needed to prepare the surface, and prevent the remnants of the Dove Grey coming through, as well as altering the colour of the new paint.

I used Dulux Brilliant White Matt emulsion, which I thinned for the first coat, and gradually decreased the water to paint ratio by the second. I let the surface dry for 24-36 hours.

5. I now applied Dulux 'Chic Shadow' Matt emulsion. I cut in sufficiently, rolled evenly - the first coat went on fine. I gave each wall the first coat, and then returning to the first wall after completing the first coat to start the second. This was probably about after 1 1/2 hours.

By the second coat, the crazing appeared. I am not sure where is came from, because the white emulsion showed none of this.

6. I sanded the walls down again with 120 grit sandpaper to remove the crazing, and applied the paint with a brush in the required areas, and a roller in others. Although working in some parts, some are still reappearing.

7. I have now sanded down again, and there is no crazing anywhere, but I need to apply another coat to remove the patchiness.

This is where I have left it currently, because I am wary of the the next step.

Do I need to use a primer, such as Dulux Multi-Surface primer, to seal the cracks?

I read somewhere else that one could use 5 parts water to 1 part PVA, but I am proceeding with caution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back