Creaking shower tray - help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to all, I have a new extension in my house included a new acrylic shower tray. The plumber put in the tray with the tiling being lft down to me. I have installed granite tiles to the floor area around the shower tray and the corner wall section behind it. But, subsequently I have found the tray creaks like mad when stood upon. The tray won't come out now due to the tiling, and that it was in place prior to plastering. Any ideas? I have discussed drilling an access hole into the side of it and piping expanding foam into the void to aid support (the tray does not creak on the shoulder sections, just within the standing areas) with the plumber and he thought it was probably the only way to cure the problem without removing it (and the tiles - very difficult) Any ideas gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
What sort of flooring is under it? Floorboards, concrete or ply?

What sort of flooring is under it? Floorboards, concrete or ply?

It's standard chipboard flooring directly underneath and the builders don't remember putting any mix underneath it - I installed 12mm ply for the floortiles but this doesn't extend under the tray as it was already there - just up to it.

Sponsored Links
should of been secured to the floor
According to the plumber all of the included support accessories were used. He has stated that it isn't the first one that he has seen with this issue (if I'd known I would have gone for a stone version). The creaking concerns me so I just need to find the best method of preventing any possible future cracking.

is the tray on feet then or flush with floor ?
It appeared flush with the floor once in position (I wasn't there for the installation). The instruction manual shows support pillars in a couple of places. I'm going to get the full details again from the plumber and builder so I can correctly describe how it was fitted and will post this on here tomorrow.

if its flush with floor it should be on a cement mix etc.
the mi will state what to be used.

The trouble is, it's in, and what can be done about it!

Creaking implies movement, which foam may not reach the weak spots anyway. The only think that springs even vaguley to mind would be to drill a few holes around the edge and pour in levelling compound a bit at a time. This is a massive longshot since it may not work and may drain away throught the waste trap hole in the floor anyway.

I think that unless you can live with it, you're realistically looking at taking it out and reinstalling on mortar or floor tile adhesive. :cry:

I would just try the foam but instead of drilling holes, is it not possible to access the underside by simply removing the top section of the waste?
Just be sparing and use a little foam at a time. That stuff punches way above its weight as it expands and you don't want it to lift the tray.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back