creaking waste pipe

dg9

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i've recently moved into a new build flat - the creaking from, what i presume is the waste pipe behind a wall (albeit with an inspection hatch there) in the kitchen is driving me around the bend. (the bathroom one is the same)

at first i thought it was a drip but the insulation foam feels dry...i suspect it just creaks when water is coming down the pipe

i know it's a long shot - but does any one have any ideas on any possible remedies? some more insulation perhaps or strapping it to the wall myself somehow?

Any thoughts?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
May be heating pipework in contact with timber, rubbing as it expands and contracts

• Thanks
Reactions: dg9
The pipe is touching wood, plasterboard, etc as clicks as it expands and contracts, ease the pipe and it should be fine.

• Thanks
Reactions: dg9
Sponsored Links
thanks

one difficulty is with it being a communal pipe so there's little i can really do to it ...

... but i've had a little play with the pipe when it's 'creaking' - and if pressure is put on it (in pretty much any direction) it usually stops...

would anyone recommend just trying to pack extra stuff between the wall and the insulation / pipe or any extra strap to the wall or ...

any thoughts on that?

@ doitall - what do you mean by 'ease it'? (treat me like a muppet) thanks
thanks

You need to get the pipe away from anything it's touching.

Two main problems is the boxing in is too tight, or where the pipe passes through the ceiling.

You can slide a thick plastic between the pipe and wherever it touching as well.

When you press on the pipe you are moving it away from the boxing in frame by the sound of it, so should be close to where you're pressing.

I'm going to suggest something different to the above. I could be wrong, full refund of my advice if so...

Clamp the bugger tight. Big U clamps onto the wall wherever you can get access. Stop the movement.

I don't think it's thermal, I think it's more likely to be the weight of water physically moving an insufficiently supported pipe around when it gets filled with water.

maybe its hot/warm water expanding contracting the pipe, maybe if the pipe is in a cold space.

ours ticks if you run the hot tap.

it might be creaking against a pipe clip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back