Creaking Pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've recently changed my central heating pump, and also flushed and inhibited the system, which is a conventional boiler, not a combi. I have noticed that the pipes have started to 'creak' when the boiler is on, and this is particularly apparent intermittantly just as the boiler is reaching max temp and then after the thermostat shuts it down...

The creaking sounds like expansion/contraction noises, but I wonder why this has only just started??

I've also just noticed that one of the rads upstairs had quite a bit of air in it, but i've never had a problem with the system gasing before. Could the inhibitor be causing this? It may well just be residual air left over from the draining/refilling when I flushed it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
did you pop in any boiler silencer stuff when you flushed the system?

Sponsored Links
nope its just that boiler silencer raises the boiler point a bit, ergo the water gets hotter and that may explain the creaking.

also it may be that now you have a nice clean system the pipes are getting hotter and expanding more.

try lifting a few floorboards and wrapping the pipes on the notching, this might help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back