creaking speedfit connections

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My central heating system uses speedfit pipes. When the heating is on, there is an intermittent creaking/ticking noise from the pipes. I have narrowed it down to a couple of connections - a 28mm elbow and a straight connector. What exactly would make these creak? Should I replace the whole connectors or just the inserts or the actual pipe?? Or can I just lubricate the joints somehow? If so, what with, and on which parts exactly?

Sponsored Links
were they white originally ? have they turned brown yet?

Speedsh*te have a problem with heated pipes - hot water/central heating
the fittings turn brittle and fall too pieces not had any problems with the pipe or the inserts just the fittings

Are you sure it's the actual fittings that's making the noise? usually it's a pipe running across a joist that makes this noise, try putting some felt or card between the pipe & the joist

Yes definitely the connections. It isn't touching a joist, most of the pipe and connections are just suspended mid air at the point of creaking.

Sponsored Links
There are millions of Speedfit fittings in use over many years. If they fell to bits - you'd know about it. Just a rumour.

sounds like the fitting are being subjected to alot of strain/stress

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back