Creaking central heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently having an issue with my central heating system making a creaking noise. It usually happens when the heating has been on for at least 20 mins and the noise increases the longer the heating is on and does get louder. I understand that this is due to the pipes contracting and expanding.

I have tried to locate the noise numerous times; I have put pipe lagging on pipes that I deemed to be lagging, too close to wood or other pipes.

I am wondering whether having the system flushed out may help in case its a build up of sludge.

I would appreciate it if anyone could suggest anything to assist in finding where the creaking is coming from, as well as how to get rid of the noise.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Not really sure if flushing would make a difference. It sounds like the pipe work that is running through joists/tight to joists has no room for expansion hence creaking noise. I would try and listen where the creaking is coming from get some floor boards up and re notch joists, not a job for the faint hearted

Flushing the system wont make any difference, if it is heat expansion/contraction then it usually gets quieter when the system gets to temperature, do you have thermostatic radiator valves ? if so your problem may lie with the way they are installed, if you do have them remove all the sensor heads and see if the noise stops

My partner believes that the creaking issue only flared up when I bled the radiators.
We believe that the creaking could be coming from the pipes of a radiator in a bedroom as they go through a breeze block wall and the possibility that the holes are too small for the pipes when the heating is on.
In terms of them being to close to joists, I have looked at the exposed pipe work that I can see, and cannot see any pipes being close and most of the pipe work are on clips away from wood work.

Is there any chance that the boiler could be creating the creaking and sending it through the pipes, as my knowledge is that this only began once the boiler had been serviced.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
there is a possibility that when your boiler was serviced that the Max heat load could have been increased which could possibly cause your symptoms but if your servicing engineer was experienced he would have asked you a few questions about how your system was performing before increasing your heat input

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back