Creating a new loft hatch

Yit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys

Recently had the loft hatch overboarded in the landing space as it was just in the wrong place and access was blocked by a beam so it was very difficult to get up there.

Question is what's involved in creating a new one?

Going to aim to have it in a spare bedroom which will become a bathroom later on. Is there anything involved in terms of informing planning etc? Do i need an structural engineer to visit?

Sponsored Links
Just need to get in loft and cut out timber and ad trimmers( doubling up timber around new hatch) to strengthen it.

You have boarded over the old one before making a new one?

Normally done the other way around.

As said , new strong frame to spread the load off the "to be removed" joist.

Make sure that there is headroom for access and that the loft ladder has room to swing
Maybe loft light switch moved

Sponsored Links
You have boarded over the old one before making a new one?

Normally done the other way around.

As said , new strong frame to spread the load off the "to be removed" joist.

Make sure that there is headroom for access and that the loft ladder has room to swing
Maybe loft light switch moved

I know but it was a last minute choice and having been in the loft i know where the head height is better which is why i had it in mind to put it into the spare room.

So any chippie worth his salt will no doubt know how to do this?

Rough cost? Thinking £200-£250?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back