Creating a new opening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have builders coming to create a new opening for us. They are planning on using acros and big boys to support the outside skin of the cavity wall. Which seems pretty standard.

For the inside skin they are going to support the floor joists from underneath which will in turn support the inside skin. Does that seem ok? I'm sure it is, I'm just a little paranoid and want to check.

Many thanks for your help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Big boys lol. I think you mean strong boys.

Yes that is normally fine providing the joists bear on the wall that is being removed. Also it may be worth removing skirting upstairs to check floor joists are packed on top touching the brickwork above them.

Strong boys are normally big boys too aren't they?

Thank you for the reassurance. The joists do bear on the wall that is being removed. Might be a bit hard to getting the skirting off upstairs though. Is that likely to be a problem?

You do know Strong Boys are attachments that fit to the top of an Acro props and not big lads from down the gym lol.
You may be able to see from underneath if ceiling is being removed.

Sponsored Links
You do know Strong Boys are attachments that fit to the top of an Acro props and not big lads from down the gym lol.
You may be able to see from underneath if ceiling is being removed.

I'm not really fussed if it's a lad down the gym or an acro attachment. As long is it holds my wall up!

No the ceiling isn't coming down.

The bricky I use calls them gay boys because they always bend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back