Creating an alcove?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if i'm using the right terminology here but i'm fitting some sliding wardrobe doors, problem is the height of the doors doesnt match the height of my ceiling leaving an 186 mm gap.

I was thinking of creating a timber frame the width of the room and thick enough to take the track, then screwing it into the wall and joists in the ceiling then plaster before fitting the liners and tracks for the doors, Is this the best option? if so any tips or if not any other suggestions?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
that's very much the right way to go.
When you install it make sure the frame is level, as are the tracks on the floor or your doors will start to slide about without any help.
You could consider instead of plaster using a timber face so can be painted or stained.
You may also find that the walls, either side are not level, again it's a case of putting up some timber upstands, so the doors close level to them.

Thanks for the reply, how would I go about fixing it to the wall? metal brackets?

I'll be using liners in the same colour as the door to frame it as fter plastering.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You don't need to use brackets to fix timbers to wall, you can if you wish but,
you can screw through the wood, drill and plug the wall, with suitable plugs depending on the material of your wall. Use a spirt level to make sure the upright is true.
Then fill in the screw heads and sand down, ready to decorate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back