Creating garage side door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and a happy holiday weekend to all,

I wonder if anyone could advise me on this...

I'm going to make a side door in my single skin brick detached garage but have a couple of things I'm not sure about:

- See photos - the roof slopes towards the garden end where I took the pics from. There's an internal pillar in the centre of this wall so I could go either side but I would ideally like to make the doorway as far along towards the low end as I can get away with, i.e. closer to the garden.
As there's going to be only 1 or 2 rows of bricks left above (depending on which wall position I choose...) and I'm going to be cutting centrally inbetween and not directly below 2 of the roof supports you can see in the photo, I'm thinking a wooden lintel will do?

Re the lining, the wall width is only 100mm but 108mm seems to be the narrowest common lining width sold. Would it be ok to have it protruding slightly on the inside as I don't want to have to trim it all?

The new door will be 1981x762: can anyone add a link to a suitable frame/lining kit as I'm finding it quite confusing... Presumably it needs to be an external frame despite it being in a raised and quite sheltered position...? Or would it be ok to treat and paint internal lining...

And do I need a proper sill? It would be more convenient to step in and out without one...

Thank you in advance :)

Attachments

• IMG_20220604_113344297.jpg
    IMG_20220604_113344297.jpg
    384.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20220604_113434061.jpg
    IMG_20220604_113434061.jpg
    551.2 KB · Views: 38
Sponsored Links
The new door will be 1981x762: can anyone add a link to a suitable frame/lining kit as I'm finding it quite confusing... Presumably it needs to be an external frame despite it being in a raised and quite sheltered position...? Or would it be ok to treat and paint internal lining...
Hi,

I was just wondering if you had considered a uPVC door?
There are plenty available from the likes of eBay - replete with frame; it makes for a very simple install and no need to worry about maintenance :)

Thanks, I have considered a upvc door and looked on FB Marketplace but not found a suitable one locally.
I hadn't thought of eBay will check it out!
Thanks .

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back