Creating habitable space in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

Quick summary : I am in the process of building a front and side extension to my bungalow and creating a brand new roof to cover the whole structure. The new roof has a higher ridge than the previous roof. In the past many years the council has refused a straight forward second storey house or extremely large dormer windows (spanning almost end to end).

I have enough space in the new loft to create three or more bedrooms and three or more bathrooms with ceiling heights at 2400 for the main areas, lowering down to 2200 or maybe 2000 for the bathrooms. There is lots of space. For natural light and aeration I can install roof windows as necessary.

Can you please tell me will I need planning permits or just building regs for this "conversion"? Can the very awkward council (not to use stronger words) refuse and on what grounds?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
You would need planning permission on the basis of the higher ridge line alone, before even considering any other issues.

You would need planning permission on the basis of the higher ridge line alone, before even considering any other issues.

Hi, I already have approvals for the higher ridge and the house enlargement in general. And I have started the construction works already.

Can anyone please tell me if I need to apply for planning permission to convert loft space to habitable space with the addition of a few roof windows and a staircase? I would have thought that since there is no visible roof changes I would not be needing a full planning application, but you never know ?

Sponsored Links
You wouldn't normally need planning permission for this. There can be exceptions if you live in a listed and/or a Conservation Area. You need Building Regulations approval, however.

As you have raised the roof ridge with planning permission, you would also need planning permission to convert the interior to habitable space, as it would presumably differ from the plans deposited (one of the conditions on your planning permission would probably be that work must be done strictly in accordance with the plans).
This may seem unreasonable but you will be increasing the number of habitable rooms in the house, and the council would argue that has planning implications, eg for off-street car parking provision.
Having said that, who's to know?

OK great, full planning application it is then. I wonder if they reject it and what excuse they will dream up now.

I would agree with Nakajo, provided the previous planning permission did not have a condition preventing using the roof space then the physical internal conversion would not need planning permission. The new rooflights would though.

There are no such restrictions. One more question, the currently applied for plans show a normal pitched roof. What if I introduce a break in the slope, a gentle slope to start with, and somewhere down the line a faster incline to arrive at the exact same eaves height as before? This will give us large amounts of extra headroom and space internally without altering the outside appearances too much (same eaves height and same ridge height). Is this something the council may reject for some obvious reason I am missing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back