Do I need planning permission?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bungalow that has a converted loft space, but it is currently tiny and useless. I am also a bit short of space downstairs and wanted to extend along the whole back of the bungalow by 3m. To give more space upstairs (and also because we don't want a flat roof extension, and there's no way we can build a pitched roof on it) I also want to extend the existing loft space over the new extension. I was hoping to then get a couple of small side dormers and a rear dormer.

Do I need planning permission for this?

Sponsored Links
Not enough info - where, attached, detached, distance to boundary, etc. But that the link that Crystalclear provided is a good place to start.

Sponsored Links
I have been through everything on the link given so many times, and I'm still not sure, hence me asking here. My issue is just complicated as it doesn't exactly fit with a single storey extension, or a double storey. I realise it is a double storey extension, but information I see on those talks about the roof etc, whereas the 2nd storey in this case is the roof.

So the property is detached, and is ~1.2m from the one side boundary, and 2m from the other. It is 70m from the rear boundary. We are on green belt land just outside of London, and I know we will never get permission for pretty much anything we would want to do, so I'm really trying to find a way to extend sympathetically under PD.

The height of the roof extension must be subservient to the original property. This will (presumably) have the effect of making the space within the extended loft space unusable, but unless there's an Article 4 direction on your portion of green belt (can that happen?) then you should have the same rights to extend at ground floor as anyone else.

Thanks Nakajo. So we couldn't just extend the roof along the existing plane? Everything I've read says that any extension can't be higher than the existing roof, but this wouldn't be.

Well actually that might be OK. If you have 'A', then I can't see why you can't build 'B' under PD

Attachments

• scan02561 copy.jpg
    scan02561 copy.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Well actually that might be OK. If you have 'A', then I can't see why you can't build 'B' under PD
If you turn the house around 90 degrees, that is what we have, so we just want to make the house longer.

Higher than the existing eaves, higher than 4m, within 7m of a boundary, for instance.

But the height of the eaves of the extension would be the same as the height of the eaves of the existing house, and the eaves of the extension would only be about 2.5 m high.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back