Creating level surface outside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter has asked if I can make her a space outside for her to practice basketball.

The most sensible space I can see is a rarely used part of the drive which currently has chips on it but is actually a massive concrete slab underneath. I plan to remove the chips but I think the actual slab surface is a bit rough so not ideal for basketball.

I'd like to put down some sort of simple covering so she can use the surface. I had looked at using a simple self levelling compound however I know they aren't intended as the final surface so many not last long at all.

Are there any other products you're aware of that could be used to level/smooth out the surface? Ideally I'd prefer not to put slabs down as we would still like to have the option of using the space for cars if needed.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Self levelling is probably right approach. You can get external grade products for patio etc and if it is going to be poured over the rough concrete slab it will have something solid to cling to and will be bulletproof against those bouncing balls!

You could even paint the free throw markings on it too to really go the extra mile for her and when she moves out in 5 years just rake the stone chips back over the top!

Ah, ok, thanks for that. The descriptions on the products I had seen all suggested they weren't to be used as a final surface, hence the confusion. But of an external grade one will do the job then that's the route I'll go.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back